#BlackCurlMagic Goldline Carbon Fiber Air Broom — #UnitedWeCurl
- #BlackCurlMagic was designed by Deb Martin as part of the #UnitedWeCurl initiative.
- Proceeds from the sale of this broom will be going to a program to encourage BIPOC involvement in curling.
- Goldline's Carbon Fiber Air Brooms feature a carbon fiber handle, and come equipped with an Air Head and Airway Pad.
- The Air Head is certified to meet WCF Specifications when paired with an Air Pro Pad.
What is #BlackCurlMagic?
It’s a celebration, a memorial, a testimony, an education, an aspiration, but mostly it’s a vibe. A celebration of the verve and vibrance of Black culture. It’s a shoutout – a tribute – to all the people who dare to show up in unexpected spaces with audacious joy, grit, and grace.
In this design, our #UnitedWeCurl partner, Deb Martin was hoping to channel the energy and innovation of the urban street art vanguards, the gatekeepers that live at the intersection of art and social commentary. All of those culture creators who specialize in turning a mess into a message.
It was also a wink and a nod to the Black GIRL Magic movement – a movement that celebrates the spirit, power, tenacity & resilience of Black women. A movement that was built to counteract the negativity & to own the narrative.
Each letter stands as its own little mural that speaks to the overall message.
From the words themselves to the context clues.
The Dora Milaje – which means “The Adored Ones”
The Black Fist – a symbol of solidarity, power and the movement for Black lives.
The Basquiat Crown – a reminder of our majesty, ambition, influence and worth.
It all adds up to a design as nuanced and dynamic as those it was designed to celebrate.
“I hope this inspires others to see us beyond our struggle as a community and appreciate the full spectrum of our lived experience & our humanity. I hope it helps normalize these crucial conversations and inspires us all to celebrate the triumphs while we work as a team to create a more inclusive, intentional culture where inclusion & equity & unity are the standard – in Curling and beyond.”
– Deb Martin a.k.a The Curling Chic